The Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee

It was a good reminder from Pastor Ed not to trust in myself. God is absolutely opposed to this. I can find so many parallels with the Pharisee in my life: tithing, knowing Scripture, zealous for the Christian tradition, even looking down on others because they do not acknowledge God. The tax collector on the other hand, all he has is God's mercy to rely upon on. Those who are sanctified by Jesus came to him with absolutely nothing to offer. No Phd, not their religious works, not their devotional prayer life, not knowing all the Bible in the world; but with humility recognizing their unworthiness before a Holy God. God gives grace to humble and is opposed to the proud. How can I humble myself? Recognize that Christ had to go to the cross for MY SINS. The cross shows me how unrighteous I am and how rigtheous HE is. The cross shows me that I am like everyone else in need of God's forgiveness. How can I boast when the Son of God was crucified for me? Help me God, for my heart is deceitful and it so easily blinds me from seeing my true sinful state. You know the hearts of all men, you search the innermost parts and desire truth in the innermost parts. Cleanse me of my hidden faults, that my meditaiton of my heart might be pleasing to you. You alone are righteous. Humble me from my pride. Help me see the cross again. Help me trust in Your unfailing love and Who you are, on the basis of what you have done. There is none like you, make my life count for the glory of Your name. Help me not fear what is to come, for You are righteous. Help me Lord, my heart wanders so far from you so easily. Help me rest in your mercy. In Jesus Name, Amen


Leave a Reply