"Am I my brother's keeper?" "Do not overcome evil with evil, but overcome evil with good."

I have been harboring bitterness in my heart towards my brother lately, and it shows me how sinful I am. I feel so justified in my anger, and I call it "righteous anger." When he attacks my character, my witness, I attack back with TRUTH. However, when I use truth, I do not use it with love. That is why so many verses in the bible talk about sharing truth with gentleness, grace, and meekness. Knowledge can puff up and Truth without love can tear down rather than build up. He was telling me how actions speak louder than words. And I hate it when he says it because I know he is right. I justify my sin by saying that Christ died for sinners, and I am one of them. When he attacks, I attack back and justify it by saying "I am a sinner as well." This does not excuse me from my own sin, I am abusing grace. I will admit, it is hard to love my brother. Everything in me opposes what he does and his lifestyle. I HATE SIN, but I have not taken the log out of my own eye.

Lord, teach me to love as you loved me. You would have been completely justified in sending me to hell, BUT you died for me anyways. You were merciful to me, a wicked sinner who is ungrateful for all that you do for me. Teach me to show mercy to my enemies. Evil is never overcome by evil, but with love and grace. Thank you, and continue to teach me your precious character. You are Holy, and I praise you for your unlimited patience. Your Name is magnified by who You are. I'm sorry for falling short Lord, help me live consistently with the Gospel. Help me look to the cross again. There is none like you Jesus. Open my eyes and forgive me for my failings.

1 John 2:9-11
The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.


Leave a Reply