"Then the Lord said to him, 'Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.' But he said, "Oh, my Lord, please send someone else." Exodus 4:11-13

I got a lesson of humility during last Wednesday's prayer meeting. It was my turn to preach on the Parable of the Rich Fool. During my message, I was stumbling over my words and my thoughts were unclear. I started sweating and everyone noticed that I was so nervous. I wanted to finish quickly because I just wanted to be out of the spotlight. As I left prayer meeting, I ask the Lord, "What was that? Where were you Lord? I never want to do that again if you are not with me?" If I stand before God's people trusting my own wisdom, there will be no spiritual power and divine action. I need to trust God. I don't want to preach or teach if God will not go with me.

In this passage, Moses acknowledges that he is not an eloquent man. He does not want to do what God has called him to do. Yet, in the future, Moses will be one of the most eloquent preachers and powerful spiritual figures in all of biblical history. Why?

It was because God uses the weak to display his strength. God picks the nobodies to shame the strong. God doesn't choose people who trust in themselves. He chooses those who are broken, humble, and willing to listen to his voice.

Father,
I don't want to do anything if you don't go with me. What is the point? I will be humiliated or be in shame or puffed up in self-righteous pide. Don't make me do things where your not with me. I don't like it. Help me always be dependent on you. May I just be a vessel used for your glory, even if it means just teaching kids all my life. You use the weak, not the strong. You use the humble, not the proud.

In Jesus Name,
Amen


Leave a Reply