The primary duty of a Christian is not service, evangelism, ministry, or social justice; but worship. In other words, the primary duty of a Christian is to be happy in God. Why do we sin? We sin when we are not happy in God. We look for earthly pleasures when we are satisfied with godly pleasures.

I have seen in my life that even good things such as service, ministry, and evangelism can crowd out God. My duty as a Christian is to get my soul satisfied in Jesus Christ. To remember what he has done for me. That he has reconciled me to the Father through his atoning sacrifice at the cross. That I am guilt-free and there is not condemnation for me because of Christ (Romans 8:1).

Christian service, evangelism, ministry, and social justice will flow from a heart that is grateful in God (Eph 2:10). I do not have to earn my salvation because Jesus has already accomplished it at Calvary.

When I was a non-believer, I needed to repent of my immorality. Now, as a believer, I need to repent of my righteousness. Preaching, teaching, serving, and leading are not good indicators that you are close to God. In fact, it can be a disguise for self-righteous moralism. I am close to God because of Jesus. It is not Jesus plus something. It is Jesus alone by his grace alone. I am the beloved child of the Father because Jesus has done his work on my behalf and continually does it as my High Priest. He is my greater older brother. He is my greater prophet. He is my greater example. He is my Substitute. He is my divine lover. He is my God.


Leave a Reply