I just watched the film Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders and it was a slap to my face. I have been disillusioned with living in America nelgecting the injustice of millions of people around the world. How can I just sit here comfortly thinking about my own career, my success, and future when there are millions around the world living in poverty?? This movie brought me back to my missionary experiences in the Philippines and Colombia and reminded me that there are many oprhaned children who have no medical resources, money, and do not ultimately have Christ. Satan is so deceptive and smart to make the American church fall asleep and settle for pleasure, entertainment, and comfort. John Piper's book title puts it well, Don't Waste Your Life. I do not want to waste my life and stand before the Lord on Judgment Day hiding my talents in the ground and not using it for his glory.



This movie also reminded me to not waste my money foolishly. How can I live in luxury when that money can be used to fight oppression and injustice? I am ashamed of myself for being seduced by the comfort of the American Dream. I say I hate it outwardly, but it lures the innermost parts of my heart. CHANGE MY HEART GOD! OPEN MY EYES TO REALITY OF INJUSTICE IN THE WORLD. I cannot be your disciple if I do not forsake all: posessions, family, wealth, career, success, and marriage to do what you are calling me to do. Please forgive me for being complacent.



I need to stop having a theoritical theology, and have an applied theology of action. James puts its very clear that a faith that does not show no works is not a faith at all. James says, "religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world" (James 1:27).

If I want to be used by the Lord, I have to count the cost. I have to see that Christ calls me to die to myself and take up a cross of suffering. Christ becomes real when we experience the fellowship of his sufferings and walk a lonely road. But there is a Resurrection three days later.

God, I am tired of theorizing about you. I am tired of being just a hearer. I am discontent with my own walk. I am such a talker and not a doer. Please change this. Please give me perpective. Please give me vision. Please give me a greater obedience to you. Help me see what you see. Help me know you from my heart, not my head. Teach me and lead me and help me ACT. I am so complacent and lukewarm. Help me steward your money wisely.

In Jesus Name,
Amen


Leave a Reply