"I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Timothy 4:1-5

This is the job description of a young pastor that Paul is writing to. I love the pastoral epistles because I can relate to Timothy's struggles. I could be so timid, fearful, weak, and discouraged so easily. But Paul exhorts his younger son in the faith to "preach the word." Paul places significant emphasis on the Word of God. The Word has the power to convict, rebuke, reproof, and exhort (2 Timothy 3:16). Preaching in our age right now is "out of season." People do not like to hear about judgment, sin, wrath, and God's holiness. And I am choosing to an "out of season" position! But God, give me grace to follow you, for "you have the words of eternal life." "I can do all things through Christ" who strengthens me. Remind me of your grace and your faithfulness. Help me see the upward call you have for me in Christ Jesus, the highest calling a human can ever receive. C.S. Lewis quoting Augustine said, "The Son of God became man that he might enable men to become Sons of God." Christ humbled himself in the form of servant found in human likeness to share in my weaknesses and give me grace when I need help. Paul also exhorts Timothy to "endure suffering" in the ministry. There is no doubt that there WILL BE SUFFERING in the ministry. We live in a fallen world with rebellious sinners who turn away from the truth. I am so fearful of the suffering that will come, I know that there will be dark times and seaons of discouragement. But remind me of the cross. Remind me that there is hope in suffering and you do this to refine me and be more like you. There is resurrection three days later. Help me be sober-minded, in my thoughts, actions, and lifestyle. Help me be discplined and self-controlled so that I might be an honorable vessel used for your glory that I might magnify your marvelous grace. In Jesus Name, Amen.


Leave a Reply