"And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life would lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole wolrd and forfeit his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels" Mark 8:34-38

There will always be a crowd of uncommitted followers and committed followers in the same group. Jesus describes a true disciple in this passage: A person who counts EVERYTHING as loss for the sake of knowing the suprassing greatness of Christ and the power of his RESURRECTION and the FELLOWSHIP of his SUFFERINGS. Here we see an apparent contradiction: in losing your life, you find your life, and in trying to save your life, you lose it. Why will you lose your life if you try to save it?? Some people try to save their life by their careers, relationships, money, material things. However, these things do not satisfy at the end of the day. Therefore, they lose their life pursuing something that never quenches a thirsty heart. But those who lose their life and give up everything for Christ FIND it. I have tasted glimpses of this truth. I gave up paintball, the Lord led me to finish up my Master's Degree in Philosophy. I gave up my friends, the Lord gave me a church family who loves me. I gave up my money, the Lord gives me the opportunity to bless others. I gave up popularity, I learn true greatness lies in serving. I gave up my idols, I got the true God who loved me and gave himself for me. Why would I want to be satisfed in the things that never brought satisfication. Only Christ, the fountain of everlasting living waters, can satisfy my dry soul.

Lord,
Help me not be ashamed of your words in this unbelieving, sinful, and adulterous generation. Help me be faithful to you, unto death. Let me know that you are with me. I can do all things through you who strengthens me. Help me be captivated by your beauty once again Jesus. Amen.


Leave a Reply