For freedom Christ has set us free, stand firmtherefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery Galatians 5:1

But far be it from to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14

In his epistle to the Galatians, the dominant theme that runs through this letter is the concept of freedom in Christ. Paul is defending the gospel: the death of Jesus for our sins and his resurrection. Because Christ has come to be our curse-bearer, we can have a new life in Christ. We are new creation. We no longer have to live trying to earn favor or acceptance before God. The Judaizers were trying to earn their acceptance with God by their Sabbath observances, rituals, and practicing circumcision. Even Peter and Barnabas were being led astray by false human religion. But Paul argues in Galatians 2, that a man is not justified by works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. We are sinners and we need a sinless substitute to take our place. It was love for God and love for us that Jesus Christ went to the cross. Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, Christ died for no purpose" (Galatians 2:20-21). It is really important to see that slaves try to earn favor before God. On the other hand, children are heirs with Christ through God's promise to Abraham.

In short, the gospel is about salvation by grace alone while all other false religions try to promote salvation by works. In the gospel we boast in the work of Christ on the cross while in false religion we boast in ourselves because of our human effort. Praise God for the gospel and the cross of my Lord Jesus Christ who loved me and gave himself for me. Amen.


Leave a Reply