In Emotionally Healthy Spiritually, the author argues that taking a Sabbath is essential for a healthy spiritual life. I agree. I am always thinking about buidling relationships, finishing papers, paying bills, preparing sermons, reading for school; rather than resting. The author gives four principles:

1. Stop
2. Rest
3. Delight
4. Contemplate

How does this look like in my life? I think ideally my day of rest should be Friday. What refreshes me?

1. Going for a run listening to Keller
2. Being away from people
3. Napping
4. Reading my Bible without any constraints (teaching, homework, sunday school preparation)
5. Having my phone off.
6. Consciously telling myself, everything is going to be OK because God is in control
7. Going to a Bookstore
8. Reading in a Park and playing with the duckies.
9. Meditate in the love of Jesus and refreshing my heart in the gospel.
10. Eating Cheesecake and Reeses Pieces Baskin Robins 10000 calorie sunday
11. Drinking some Boba
12. Listening to Jazz

Lord,
Forgive me for idolizing work and not taking your command seriously to rest. Teach me to practice these things.

In Jesus Name,
Amen


Leave a Reply