"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

I have been noticing that I avoid sin for the wrong reasons. For example, I want to avoid sin because I want to be the "perfect pastor." Or I want to avoid sin because I hate failing God. Or I want to avoid sin because I hate feeling guilty. The problem with this mind set is that it is not rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I fundamentally avoid sin because I want to be my own savior, that is why I keep failing to keep God's standard (Rom. 3:23).

As I was meditating on Ephesians, holy living always flows from gospel believing: God loved us that He would send His Son to die for us, lavish his grace upon us, predestine us, redeem us, raise us from the dead, seat us with Him, make us alive in Him. In other words, I should avoid sin because I have been bought with a high price. To sin is to disbelieve the infinite riches I have in Christ. To sin is to disbelieve that my salvation is precious. To sin is to disbelieve that I have been bought with the blood of Jesus Himself. To sin is to grieve the Spirit of God that has been freely given to me when I trusted Jesus to save me from my sins. To sin is to disbelieve that God is good. To sin is to neglect the promises of God. To sin is to ultimately reject Jesus and the greatness of what He has done for me so that He can deliever me from my radically self-centered self, sin, and death. May I remember that I have been bought with a price, the precious blood of God himself in the person of Jesus Christ.

Father in Heaven,

Forgive me for my sin. I confess to you my unwholesome talk and for dishonoring your name with my behavior. Thank you that Jesus has bought with His blood. Please seal within my heart the good news of Jesus death and resurrection. Make it clear to me so that I might not sin against you. Thank you that Jesus was the perfect pastor. Thank you that Jesus is the perfect Savior. Lord, please examine my motives and help me repent of any hypocrisy and unbelief.

In Jesus Name,
Amen


Leave a Reply