Jeremiah 22:15-16

Did not your father eat and drink
and r do justice and righteousness?
s Then it was well with him.
16 t He judged the cause of the poor and needy;
s then it was well.
Is not this
u to know me?
declares the Lord.

My heart has been very heavy lately because of the recent events going on in Haiti. It is seems so unreal that piles of dead bodies are stacked on the side of the road, children now orphaned because their parents were crushed under buildings, the stench of dead bodies filling the city, injured people, and looters looting dead bodies for gain. Right now, I sit comfortably in my bed in America, and I wonder what does this have to do with me? Well in this passage of Scripture I have been meditating, knowing God means judging the cause of the poor and needy. And right now, Haiti is poor and needy. If I claim to know God, and my heart does not follow God's heart, then my profession of faith is a lie. I am so selfish still and think of my own ways. But when I think of Christ, how he came to save the physically and spiritually poor and needy; it reminds me that our savior acted with action. I don't know what to do, but my heart is heavy. Then again, having a having heart without action is as good as dead as saying "I believe in Jesus" without any accompanied action. I need to repent. I was so passionate about school last year because I came for the right reasons, to know God. However, it is easy to get stuck into the idolatry of education, even Seminary. School should be viewed in my eyes as Holy, a place of training in Righteousness, not a place just to earn a degree to make my life well. I can only imagine how far Philosophy can go if I was in Haiti right now with millions of hurting people. How far would philosophical arguments go when they need love and physical care? I don't want to waste my life. I want to know my calling. If I am really a citizen of Heaven bought with the blood of Jesus, my heart should beat like his. I should join with those who suffer rather than embrace the superficialities of pleasure and comfort. God, please, show me the way I should go. Is this what it means to know YOU? To defend the orphan, to help the oppress, to love the poor, to show mercy, to do justice? This is not was being exemplified right now. Grant me repentance and help me walk in the way I should go.


Leave a Reply