Currently reading Albert Mohler's The Conviction to Lead and here are some principles of leadership I read this morning:

1.) Leaders are Communicators

All great leaders in the past have been excellent communicators. A leader speaks out of the conviction of his own heart. If a person is trying to "find" a message, he will not be a good leader. A true leader lives by convictions and lives to communicate those convictions. Obviously as preachers, we must live by the Word of God. Some convictions that I find out of the Bible include: God's Absolute Majesty and Holiness, the sinfulness of Man, the Substitutionary Atonement of Jesus Christ, the Resurrection of Christ, the beauty of godliness and holiness, and the eternal hope of the Christian through the Second Coming of Christ. May the Lord make these convictions deeper within my own soul.

2.) Leaders are Readers

I bought Albert Mohler's book at the Shepherd's Conference Bookstore. One of my favorite reasons for going to Shepherd's conference is to get a handbag full of books and look at the conference bookstore. I love the conferences not only for the messages, but for the books! I walk around the bookstore multiple times just as the Israelites walked around the Wall of Jericho seven times to see if there are many books that I really want. Mohler argued that we must interact with the book we are reading by taking notes, analyzing arguments, highlighting key points, etc. P.J. also affirmed that I should interact with my readings more so I don't forget. As a Christian, the Bible must be the number one book to read. A Christian should also read great classics like John Calvin's the Institutes of the Christian Religion, the works of Jonathan Edwards and Martin Luther, and biographies of great preachers like Martin Lloyd Jones. Mohler also recommended reading fictional books to help me learn to be a better narrator and use my imagination. Another helpful insight is to read current events in Newspapers such as New York Times or USA Today.


Leave a Reply