I just finished reading Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching and am reminded of some very important truths for ministry.

1. Suffering is guaranteed in ministry.

If the Lord Jesus Christ, the disciples, the apostle Paul, Timothy, Silas, and Titus suffered, why in the world would I think that ministry would be one of comfort and ease? There are times where I go through great discouragement, depression, feelings of abandonment, inadequacy, failure, hurt, sorrow in ministry where I just want to say "I quit!" And I feel like such a wimp because I've only been on staff for a little over a year! Although I have been Christian for about 7 years, my ministry is barely beginning, which entails more trials and afflictions.

2. Preach with Authority

Paul tells Titus, "Exhort and Rebuke with all Authority" (Tit. 2:15). He also tells Timothy that all scripture is profitable for "teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work" (2 Tim. 3:16-17). I must preach with authority because God's Word is authoritative. God does not give us suggestions to follow, but commands to follow.

3. We are clay pots entrusted with a glorious gospel

John MacArthur writes, "Preachers are men-that's all" and "we are common containers for the most humble and most dirty uses; we are never, ever fit, in and of ourselves, to be brought into public. That's how it is in the ministry. Our only value is as containers. It's the treasure that we bring that has the value." In other words, I'm nothing in myself containing the glorious gospel. As MacArthur puts it, "We have this treasure in a garbage can, a waste bucket." This is profound because I can be prideful in ministry, but I need to remind myself that I am only a garbage can displaying a glorious gospel treasure.


One Comment

  1. God is doing a great work in you. i love you and i am with you always!

    ReplyDelete