In Satisfy Your Soul, the author believes that evangelical Christianity has lost the practice of the sprititual disciplines as an overreaction againsts certain movements in church history. The average Protestant understanding of Christianity is: go to church, pray, read your bible. But the problem is that most Christians do not feel an awareness of the Spirit's leading, or growing awareness of God. The author asks the questions, where are you right now in your relationship with God?


I agree with Him, that sometimes prayers and Biblereading can be dead. I want to walk in the power of the Spirit and be strengthened in the inner man. The greatest times I had with God is when I worshipped Him for His marvelous grace and beauty to sinners. It was freeing. Somehow down the road, my service for God crowed my worship. As Paul calls the Galatians foolish by trying to justify themselves by their works, I too am a fool for thinking that justification depends on my works. It is an overwhelming responsibility, and I have been discouraged because of the lack of growth in my life and even in the church. I think these things have hindered me from seeing Jesus. Somehow ministry crowds out Jesus, and I think that it is very ironic. I hope and pray that God would do something different in me through these books I am reading.


Leave a Reply