So yesterday, I was sitting in the Talbot lounge doing my homework. Some guy was sitting across from me was talking to another student. I was listening, and he saw that I overheard his conversation. He was saying such things as "People in our church do not think any more," "I am accepted by the community because they see my degrees and I am not just some radical fundamentalist." Obviously, he was an evidentialit. He asked me what are the fundamental principles of life you cannot deny? The first things that popped into my head is God and the Scriptures. He responded, "it's funny how calvinists read their own and how everyone doesn't seek for truth by going to people who only support their views." Little did I know, this was a Undergrad philosophy professor! This professor said that the most fundamental truth is the law of non-contradiction. I asked him, what is the law of non contradiction if there is no God? He started going off in words I did not understand. I felt as if he has a type of Elitism because of his philosophy. What I learned was that I do not want to be that way, to "demolish" people in a position of arrogance. Human wisdom is at the end of the day finite and foolish. Its dangerous to see that your human reasoning dominates your submission to God. If reasoning exalts itself, it can be a idol. A good thing such as even the law of non-contradiction can be an idol. I need to learn humility from this experience.


Leave a Reply