I have been doing my devotions in the morning in the book of Isaiah. I pray that I would learn to be a doer of the Word, and not just a hearer (James 1:22). Here are some things that stuck out to me this morning:

1. God is Concerned about Internal Holiness, Not Just External Religiosity (Isa. 58:1-7)

The Israelites are asking God why He is not noticing their fasting, "Why have we fasted, and you see it not? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?" (58:3). But God answers and says he does not acknowledge their fasting because they still seek their own pleasure (58:3), oppress their workers (58:3), fight and quarrel (58:4). True fasting according to the Lord is to "loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke" (58:6). Moreover, true fasting is being generous and hospitable to those who are in need (58:6-7). In other words, true fasting is concerned about justice.

2. God is Concerned about the Poor (Isa. 58:10)

God says, "If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday" (Isa. 58:19). Not only is God concerned about justice, but he is concerned about true generosity. I have been thinking about how this applies to me in my own context. I live in the Suburbs where it is reasonably comfortable and I do not exactly see many homeless people walking around the streets of West Covina. But I am sure there are poor saints in the local church who do not share their need because they feel ashamed or embarrassed. I'm also thinking about the saints in Iraq who are leaving their homes because of the terrorism of ISIS. Does this mean I need to give to a relief organization? Volunteer at a local homeless shelter? Be quick to give to someone who is asking for money on the streets? Lord, I need guidance on how to apply this in my own life.

3. God is Concerned about the Sabbath (Isa. 58:13-14)

Although we are not Israelites living under the Old Covenant anymore, I believe the principle of honoring the Lord's Day still applies. God rested on the Seventh Day after creating everything and He delighted in His Work. We too, must set aside a day, to rest and delight in the Lord. God says, "if you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, and the holy day of the LORD honorable, if you honor it, not giving your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly, then you shall take delight in the LORD, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth" (Isa. 58:13-14). It is discouraging to me to see Christians who are not concerned about honoring the Lord's day. Often times, many people make excuses not to gather with God's people because the reality of the matter is that they do not make the Sabbath (or Lord's Day) a delight. For me, Sunday is one of the most exciting day of the week because I get to sing God's praises, hear God's Word, fellowship with His People, observe the ordinances that remind me of the glorious Gospel, and be reminded of the goodness of God. If only we understood the privilege of worshiping freely with God's people in this country. With the recent events in Iraq, I am reminded not to hold the Lord's Day in contempt.

True religion according to Isaiah 58 is doing justice, being generous to the poor, and delighting in God on a Day we set aside to honor Him with His people. Lord, teach me how to do this in my life. Amen.


Leave a Reply