[4] Now the word of the LORD came to me, saying, [5] “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” [6] Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” [7] But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. [8] Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 1:4-8)

God sovereignly appoints before the foundation of the world whom He will use to proclaim His Word to the nations (v. 5). Jeremiah feels inadequate because he is young and knows that he is not exactly the most eloquent speaker that you would want to preach to the nations (v. 6). But God reminds Jeremiah to not rely on himself, but on the God who sends, and God who commands. Jeremiah is simply to obey by going and speaking (v. 7). Moreover, Jeremiah is not to be afraid of the people He is being called to speak to, because God is with Him to deliver Him (v. 8). 

I know in my own life, there are times where I feel completely inadequate because of my youth and my lack of eloquence to preach God's Word to God's People. But this passage reminds me to simply go to where God calls me to go, and speak to the people what God commands me to speak. In other words, go and preach the Word (Matt.28:18-20; 2 Tim. 4:2). And when I am afraid, I need to be reminded that God promises to be with me, "for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD" (Jer. 1:4-8). 


Leave a Reply