I see glimpses of the love of God, and my heart rings with joy. I wish for a more fuller experience of this joy. Jesus prayed that we might have joy. J.I. Packer in Knowing God also makes an interesting insight: that adoptions is a greater blessing than the grace of justification. I would agree. Adoption shows reconciliation. To know that God is your Father is the greatest truth a human can know. Jesus says, not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven", but those who do the will of my Father. What keeps us from sin is that God's children do not want to displease their father. Are there diobedient children? Sure, but a loving Father will discipline them. God disciplines me for my good. I look back at all my shortcomings, and it has brought me to the realization that God had a plan all along. He continually picked on my heart, showing me my sin and convicting me of my hypocrisy. I cannot run from God. The psalmist prayed, where shall I go, where can I flee from your presence? Coming to an understanding of the Fatherhood of God has several implications. (1) Children act like their parents. Am I acting like my Heavenly Father? Do I hate sin like he hated it (Crucifying His Son on a Cross)? (2) Children talk to their parents. I have neglected to talk to my Heavenly Father maybe because this reflects my own relationship with my earthly father. I have never really have deep and long conversations with my earthly dad because of neglect and maybe I have projected this view on my Heavenly Father. I have to realize that God is good, he gives good gifts to those who ask of Him? How can my heavenly Father give poison water if I ask of him? Even if I cry and bicker that I do not get my own way. This leads to the next truth: My Father is completely good. God will do nothing to harm me. He loves me. I doubt this many times, and I struggle to see whether I am really a child of God. I feel like the child who came back to his father and said, "I am not even worthy to be called your son, please make me one of your hired servants." But as Jesus illustrates, the Father picks up his tunic and runs to the Son and says, "Kill the fattened calf, this son of mine was dead and now is alive!" He also put the robe on him, gave him a ring, and there were angels in heaven rejoicing because the Son had come back to the Father. God please assure me of your love again, I have strayed far from you, but through your goodness, affliction I have seen, but now I seek to keep Your Word by your grace and Spirit.


Leave a Reply