On my vacation in San Francisco, I have been reading through Romans, Galatians, and Ephesians. Romans 11:36 stuck out to me, "For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen." In Galatians, Paul reminds us that we should not abandon the gospel of grace. We have been saved and justified through faith alone in the sacrifice of our savior. In Galatians 6:14, Paul says that he will not boast in anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. The cross is a symbol of death to sin, our sinful flesh, our separation from the world system in rebellion against God our Creator.

But tonight in my devotions, I read Ephesians. A church member recently has come up to me asking for insight into the ministry of the Holy Spirit. I am blessed that this member seeks wisdom and wants to live by the power of the Holy Spirit. So I've been thinking lately on what a Spirit-filled believer looks like in everyday life. Ephesians 5:15-21 gives us the answer:

    [15] Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, [16] making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. [17] Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. [18] And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, [19] addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, [20] giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, [21] submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15-21 ESV)

1. A Spirit Filled Person understands the will of the Lord (vv. 15-17)

He seeks to know the mind of Christ through the Word of God. In other words, he lets the "word of Christ" dwell in him richly (Col. 3:16-17). The Holy Spirit is the One who guided the process of revealing divine scripture (2 Pet. 1:21, 2 Tim. 3:16-17). If we want to be spirit-filled, then we must be Bible-saturated believers.

2. A Spirit Filled Person exercises self-control (v. 18)

Paul says in Galatians 5:22 that a Spirit filled person exercises self-control. Here, specifically, it is applied to abstaining from alcohol.

3. A Spirit Filled Person sings praise to God with church community (v. 19)

Instead of putting down people, gossiping, or slandering others, a spirit-filled person communicates words of truth. Specifically in this passage, singing hymns and spiritual songs to one another. When is the last time I sang a hymn or spiritual song while driving with my wife? Or sang some hymns out of spontaneous praise to God with other church members?

4. A Spirit Filled Person Gives Thanks (v. 20)

It says give thanks always and for everything. I need to thank God for good times and bad times. Right now, I thank God for vacation in SF. I thank him for new friends in Oakland. I thank him for giving us the gift of marriage. I thank God for celebrating the union of Brian and Irene Lum. I even thank God for my own marriage and my precious wife. On the other hand, I thank God for conflicts in marriage. I thank God for burdens in ministry to grow me in patience. I thank God for brokenness. I thank God for showing me my sin so that I can repent.

5. A Spirit Filled Person Submits (v. 21)

A Spirit Filled Person submits to others. I need to submit to Christ first and foremost. Then I need to submit to my wife in loving her and cherishing her. Then I need to submit to my parents in honoring them. I need to call them more often and think about evidences of grace in their lives instead of putting them down (Eph 6:1-2).

These are the marks of a truly Spirit-filled person. Amen.


Leave a Reply